This month it has been raining Birchbox at my doorstep, which isn’t the worse problem in the world (except that it’s not exactly free haha). Following the heels of the CEW Awards, Birchbox released two special edition boxes featuring some of the year’s most raved-about products at an absolutely terrific value! I had to snatch them both up before they were sold out. You can also get $5 off if you buy them both at the same time!
2014 Mass Appeal Box ($15)
- Dove Go Fresh Body Wash in Blue Fig & Orange Blossom – I’ve used this body wash about 10 times already and it is still half-full. I normally use Dove’s body wash in the shower so the only difference was really the scent. It’s got a sweet clean smell to it, but I can’t really pick out orange (nor do I know what fig smells like).
- Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 – I tried this on my face and shoulders last week on a practice run and it works as well as any other sunscreens.
- L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara – I am a mascara snob, I really have a hard time finding one I like, but this one was alright in my book (which is better than the negative rating I give 75% of mascaras I try!). It lengthened my lashes without clumping, but I’ve got an irresistible love for my D&G Passion Eyes mascara, which is still my #1.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips – this stuff is amazing! I bought the original lip therapy a few years ago and forgot about it when I ran out. Now, they make this pink tinted one, which is amazing at hydrating and protecting lips from the elements.
- Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Gloss in Spring Splendor – I have not tried this yet, but if it’s worth reviewing, you will see it on a monthly favorites list 🙂
- TRESemme Keratin Smooth Keratin Infusing Serum – I use a lot of TRESemme’s heat protecting products, so even though I haven’t tried this one yet, I have high expectations that it will be just as good.
2014 Prestige Headliners ($18)
- Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme – can we just talk about the amazing smell of this hair product for a second? It is pure bliss–a refreshing parfum scent which makes the hair feel silky and look shiny.
- Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil Light – confession: I have not tried any oils on my face yet. I know it is supposed to be really healthy for skin. From what I’ve been told by friends, it is best to apply and let sit a short time before you wash your face, to keep your skin from drying out (though you can really use it at any time).
- 100% Pure Creamy Nail Polish (my color was in Velveteen) – colors will vary in this box. Mine was a soft mauvey-nude color which goes on much lighter than it photographed in the above picture. I put on two coats and it went on very smooth and evenly.
- Philosophy Miracle Worker Overnight – I haven’t tried this moisturizer yet, which is surprising since I use the Purity facewash by Philosophy. Regardless, this is a cult favorite and my expectations are high 🙂
- COOLA Radical Recovery After-Sun Lotion – unfortunately, I had to use this yesterday do to an intense sunburn from my half-marathon. Fortunately, however, this stuff works! I put it on multiple times throughout the day (mostly because of how burnt my skin was), and it was cooling and not-sticky. My sunburn felt much better this morning after applying an additional slab of it before bed last night.
- Extras: Pocket Mirror & Toe Separators
August 2014 Birchbox
Signing back up for Birchbox was completely worth it. I don’t know if it’s because they consider me a “new” subscriber or what, but they have completely stepped up their game compared to prior boxes. Three of my last four boxes prior to canceling had foil packets of shampoo and conditioner or bodywash. Because I resubscribed mid-month, they sent me August’s and September’s box about 2 days apart.
- Neil George Shampoo & Neil George Conditioner – I give this a “meh” rating. It really wasn’t anything that special, but I’m astounded by the sample size! It’s clear in color and reminds me of a Paul Mitchell clean smell. I wouldn’t pay for it.
- Paula’s Choice Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum – I’ve been applying this serum around my eyes and my cheek-smile lines. I haven’t noticed a huge difference yet, but it’s easy enough to apply. It twists up into a press-and-squirt bottle, which unfortunately makes it hard to control the amount it squeezes out and I always have way more than I need. It’s very oil-based, so may not be the greatest for oily-skin types.
- Laura Gellar Cool Lids Cream Eyeshadow in Silver Sands – wahhh this was an awesome surprise. I got a beautiful silver color that glides on effortlessly. It doesn’t take much to apply, so this “sample” will last me a longgg time. Make sure to put an eyeshadow base-coat on first to keep from sweating off the cream!
- Whish CC Body Cream in Coconut – adore this brand. Hate the smell. Not a fan of coconut-smell at all, so this will likely be given away. I got the body lotion in “Pomegranate” in one of my first Birchboxes, and I literally squeezed every last drop out before I threw it away. So so so good.
September 2014 Birchbox
Note: I haven’t tried any of my September products so far.
- Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator
- Harvey Prince Ageless Liquid Loofa
- Temptu S/B Highlighter
- Macadamia Professional Flawless Cleansing Conditioner (huge sample!)
- Pixi by Petra Lip Balm in Honey Nectar
If you would like to subscribe to Birchbox, I would LOVE it if you could use my referral link! 🙂 You can subscribe HERE