I’ve argued a considerable amount with myself–no joke–about whether or not I want to publish this slew of posts regarding my subscription boxes over the last few months (I’ve drafted Birchbox, Ipsy, Boxycharm, and Glossybox reviews). Quite honestly, I’m no longer proud of these “haul” posts, as they just seem to glamorize something I’m embarrassed about: i.e. the amount of “stuff” aka beauty products that I’ve collected over the last few year.
My goal in 2015 is to minimize the amount of “stuff” I accumulate. I’ve already taken steps towards fulfilling this by canceling all of my subscription boxes (except for Birchbox which I paid a lump sum for 1 years worth earlier in 2014), but the backlog of posts and pictures just makes me feel even more guilty, as if I collected all of this overnight. For reasons of simply just getting it off my mind, I’ve decided to publish these posts and will be more upfront and honest in my 2015 resolutions post in the coming days.
November 2014 Birchbox: Giving
– Bain de Terre Argan Oil & Passion Flower Color Therapy Styling Oil
– Eslor Firming Collagen Day Cream – a nongreasy cream I have started using as a daily moisturizer. A little goes a long way, so it’ll be a while before this makes it onto an “empties” post.
– Not Soap, Radio Body Wash in Joy Inducing – I picked this sample from their monthly sample choice, since lemon is one of my favorite all time scents! It’s a bit sweeter than I hoped, but doesn’t dry out my sensitive skin and leaves me feeling refreshed and ready to start my day!
– theBalm Cindy-Lou Manizer
– Folle de Joie eau de parfum
December 2014 Birchbox: Decked Out
– Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox BB Beauty Balm
– RUSK Texture Spray
– SeaRX Anti-Wrinkle Facial Life Treatment Serum
– Acure Organics Lip Lush
– Vasanti Kajal Extreme Intense Eye Pencil in Rose Gold – the only product I have tried so far (and another choice from their monthly sample choice options). This creamy liner glides on smoothly, and the rose gold color instantly brightens up tired eyes. When I’m not going for a more dramatic look, I like to apply this right on the corners of my inner eye to make me look more naturally alert.
2014 Vanity Affairs Holiday Box
I also splurged and got the coveted Limited Edition: Vanity Affair holiday box ($98). I used a 20% off coupon and 100 Birchbox points (worth $10) to get it down to $68.40. This box is probably my favorite receipt of the season! In addition, they accidentally sent/switched up my order with someone elses and gave me another 100 Birchbox points for their error.
– Chantecaille Luminous Gloss in Lychee ($34)
– SHU UEMURA Art of Hair Essence Absolue Oil-in-Cream
– Rosanna Alhambra Medium Vessel ($22) – My favorite! This is the new statement piece on my bathroom vanity. The light blue porcelain container, outlined with gold gives my bathroom an instant makeover. It’s big enough to fit cotton pads in to gently remove my makeup at night. I have seriously considered buying the sister large vessel, but can’t bring myself to paying $30 for a jar. I think I’ll end up spray-painting a mason jar gold to compliment the colors and store my makeup brushes in.
– Sunday Riley Good Genes Treatment – I was skeptical that this treatment would prove all its claims (plumping, brightening, moisturizing), but I was instantly rebuffed. I applied this sticky serum as a primer to my BB cream, and after letting it absorb into my skin for 10 minutes, instantly noticed a brighter face staring back at me in the mirror. In addition, I’ve never applied BB cream (or any facial tinted cream) to my face so effortlessly. My skin had a bounce to it that it hasn’t had for over 10 years. I am absolutely in love with this product and can’t wait to use it again and again. However, at $105/ounce (GUHHHH), I will never ever own the full size. I’m okay with that…
– BY TERRY Baume de Rose – this product reminds me oh so much of Christian Dior’s Rose Lip Balm. I used this baby religiously over the last week when the hot Mexican sun burnt my lips so bad they blistered in spots (PSA: don’t forget to protect your lips when going out in the sun!). It softened and smoothed the calluses until they completely healed. However, I have so much of CD’s product leftover that after this product is out, I won’t be repurchasing for a while.
– Maison Caulieres Perfumed Bath Oil
– JINsoon Nail Lacquer in Coquette and Nostalgia ($18 ea)
– TOCCA Eau de Parfum in Margaux – I am very particular about perfumes, and was somewhat surprised with how much I enjoyed the scent. It is described as “not overly sweet…with notes of blood orange and gardenia and holds it with lasting violet, light vanilla and heliotrope.”
– MAKE Calypso Palette ($40) – while the darks instantly provide color payoff, I’m happy with the ability to build up color using the gray and beige tones. This palette is a mix of matte, satin, and shimmer finishes, and with 8 complimentary colors, there’s quite a variety of combinations and liners to experiment with.
– Tata Harper Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint
– Serge Normant Dream Big Instant Volumizing Spray
– Stephanie Johnson Tinseltown Gold Jewelry Tray ($30–not pictured) – I use this tray to hold my weekly beauty samples I want to try, while also complimenting the Alhambra vessel also included with the holiday box. It’s the perfect size to toss in some jewelry pieces as well.
Have you bought/received any holiday sets you are excited to try? Let me know in the comments below!